Friday, September 24, 2010

Cursed blessed sleep

I met a sad man, a frayed man, a weary man. He had shadows under his eyes and slumped on the bar like a man gone in drink, though he had touched nothing but water the whole evening. It was late and I felt myself nodding as I waited for a friend before we left.

“Going home to sleep?” he asked in a voice surprisingly clear.

I did not reply as I reasoned it to be the safest thing to do.

“I would be. I’m jealous.”

“Why don’t you then?”

He leaned closer, the blues of his eyes bluer against the bloodshot tinges of the whites.

“I’m a cursed man,” he whispered. I smelt no alcohol on his breath.

“How so?” I asked, bemused.

“I cannot go to sleep until I have achieved something significant.”

“What? Ever?”

“No, just each day.”

“Is it anything in particular?”

“No. Yes. I don’t know. At first I got by with cleaning my house, or cooking dinner, or doing the dishes. Then I had to call my mother, or pay a bill, or write a letter. Now, I don’t know. I can’t sleep. I haven’t slept for two days. What should I do?”

At that moment his hand seemed to leap from its supporting position beneath his chin and he collapsed on the bar, snoring.

My friend emerged from the toilets.

“Ready to go?”

“Yeah, sure.” I glanced at the cursed man, with something between bemusement, pity and confusion, and left, more awake than a few minutes prior.



I met a happy man, a contented man, a fulfilled man. His eyes were bright blue and lines marked only smiles in a youthful face. He sat at the bar, cheerily looking around the crowded pub, far too cheerful for such an hour. It was late and I felt myself nodding as I waited for a friend before we left.

“Going home to sleep?” he asked in a voice surprisingly clear.

I did not reply as I reasoned it to be the safest thing to do.

“You should. I highly recommend it.”

“Have we met?”

He leaned closer, the blues of his eyes bluer against the bright white of the whites.

“I’m a blessed man,” he whispered. I smelt no alcohol on his breath.

“How so?” I asked, bemused.

“I cannot go to sleep until I achieved something significant.”

“Last time somebody told me that they immediately fell asleep.”

“Exactly.”

I didn’t understand and was too tired to try to follow.

“Just telling you was significant, last time. And so I started to tell others, and do things, and achieve things. And it is so nice to sleep knowing that you have done something that day, something good, something worthwhile. I may only sleep a couple of hours, but I could go for days. Of course I rarely do, unless opportunity keeps from me.”

I did not know how to respond. I was vaguely jealous. I wished I’d done something significant that day.

My friend emerged from the toilets.

“Ready to go?”

“Yeah, sure.” I glanced at the man with something between jealousy, hope and confusion, and left, more awake than a few minutes prior.

No comments: