Friday, August 27, 2010

Ten thousand tears

Inspired by tears, and William Booth's "I'll fight"


Penny was a weeper
Penny would cry
She didn't need a reason
And noone asked why
A sympathetic crier
For all of her days
She felt so embarrassed
She felt so ashamed

She'd cry in a movie
She'd cry in a book
A sentimental moment
Was all that it took
She wasted her tears
On romance and boys
Cost ten thousand tears
For ten minutes joy

Then Penny learnt sadness
And Penny learnt pain
She saw those who worked
With so little gain
She saw those who strived
But still couldn't eat
With tears in her eyes
She took to the street

  Let our tears stand for something
  Let us cry for the lost
  Let us weep for the lonely
  Nomatter the cost
  While still there is hatred
  While still there is pain
  The tears will keep falling
  Again and again

It's the story of ages
For ten thousand years
For ten minutes joy
Costs ten thousand tears
The world might be better
Though it cries too much
With a few more tears
And a lot more love

  And still we will cry
  While they live on the street
  And still we will cry
  While young children weep
  And still we will cry
  While people are sold
  And still we will cry
  While hearts they are cold

Let us be not embarrassed
Let us be not ashamed
For openly weeping
At somebody's pain
Though they tell you again
That boys do not cry
That girls shouldn't either
Let them stop and ask why

Oh you who are hurting
Understand why I cry
Your pain it does sting me
Though I barely know why
I'll cry for you
Though you do just the same
There must be some worth
To these tears on my face

I shall weep more for those
For whom no tear is shed
Whose pain is deep hidden
In the darkness of bed
And I ask of you
Don't avoid my eyes
And I ask of you
When's the last time you cried?

No comments: