Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Finding a boy is like buying shoes

Finding a good boy, one to date and love and marry, is like finding the perfect pair of shoes. Let me explain.

I go shoe shopping rarely – as it takes a lot of effort and I can’t always face the disappointment. I see shoes I like which are currently very in fashion, but I don’t try them on because I know they won’t fit. Or sometimes I do try them on anyway and they don’t fit, or if they do, they’re too expensive, or I buy them only to find they stretch and don’t fit after two weeks. But usually one of three things happens:

1)      I can’t find any shoes I like, although I know exactly what I’m looking for.
2)      I can’t find any shoes to fit my feet.
3)      I can’t find shoes for the appropriate price.

At this point I start feeling a bit down. I start thinking maybe I’m being too picky in what I’m looking for and I should be realistic and content myself with the pair that looked alright. I start thinking my feet are a really unusual shape so I’m very unlikely to find anything that fits with the current fashions so I should get used to a little bit of pain, or try to buy accessories to make them more comfortable. I start thinking that good shoes cost a lot so I should be prepared to pay more.

And this is like finding a boy. You start thinking you’re too picky and too specific in what you’re looking for. You start thinking that nobody is going to suit you perfectly. And you make more and more compromises on what you will put up with – what cost you will bear – in order to find a companion.

Sometimes, this isn’t a bad thing. Sometimes people are looking for the perfect man instead of the man who is perfect for them. Sometimes they are not prepared to pay the cost for happiness.

But be aware of these things in your dealings with both shoes and men. Decide whether your requirements are ridiculous. Realise that a ‘good fit’ is possible. And know what price you’ll pay and reassess it constantly in case it creeps up to a point you never wanted to approach.

Boys are like shoes. Good ones make you feel confident, comfortable and good-looking. Bad ones gives you blisters and regrets.

No comments: